PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where is aviation heading?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2009, 01:26
Ex FSO GRIFFO

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
For RECREATIONAL Flying - Heading To.....

G'Day All, and tks Wal for this post.

For my 'Rec. flying',
I reckon I might be heading to 'The Country' i.e. away from the city for my Rec. flying.
Away from silly / expensive / gouging / 'rip-orf' landing fees, parking fees, and queing - you are number 9 for take-off - with the Hobbs meter ticking....
Where I go, you take-off and you are IN the training area, or you can head off in which ever direction you choose (well, almost...) and climb as high as you want to (well....) and it is 'pleasant' countryside, with a very pleasant social bar afterwards.
And no stupid ASIC!!!

Plan to join RAA for a little less expensive hobbying.
Again, when you T/O you are IN the T/A

Heading back to 'grass roots' so to speak.

Also have a 7.6 M Ally - built by No 2 son no less - which is VERY nice and stable - and fast. So may be 'C-changing' my rec time from 'up there' to 'down here'.
Its cheaper - and sometimes we even manage to catch a 'feed'...

I'm trying to stay away from my 'cynical' side on this one !

Meanwhile 'back at the Ranch'....

With 'Carbon Taxes' etc...

Airships may make a bit of a comeback for freight ops.
Large carrying capacity, reasonable o/night speed, and BIG runways not required thanks.
Freight companies could have them depart / arrive their OWN suitably designed premises, thus cutting out some surface transport costs and exhorbitant airport fees. Would still require large real estate holdings though.
And a new breed of pilots...multi crews for not-so-fast vehicles between the larger cities.
And new ATC procs / facilities to accommodate these 'different' machines.
Some selected routes may be developed for pax ops. Probably seasonal and / or 'reasonable weather' locations...

Fast electric rail could / should also come into play in many locations between large populated areas. Probably more suited to Europe / USA.
Some application in OZ.

As the technology / 'economy' changes - 1,000 seat aircraft become the norm for intercontinental travel. (Remember when the DC-3 was "BIG"!)
Some exo-sphere travel for the business traveller - although Computor Business conferencing may negate this.
ALL passenger acft produced by the 'Big Two' who will be forced to amalgate... due carbon taxes / economics of scale..(?)

As for G/A....Wot G/A ??
The 'economy' will finally catch up with this 'indulgence'...
See above..

Cheers

Last edited by Ex FSO GRIFFO; 4th Jan 2009 at 02:00.