PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ABERDEEN
Thread: ABERDEEN
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2009, 08:53
Richard Taylor
Fit like min?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Makes you wonder if airlines consider it worth serving ABZ. GSM have tried to introduce several flights now but had to pull them through lack of demand. That's SSH & now LPA pulled to join the others that GSM considered the year before last then pulled.

No wonder EZY & the like are not interested in flying to ABZ. Aircraft the locos fly are too large for the ABZ market in general, even Flybe struggle with a 76 seater, NCL route as an example.

For an ABZ route, it tends to be aimed at the business market, but you need to offer a business schedule at least (ie. morning/evening flights at the very least) but then you may have too many seats on offer. And what fares do you offer? Are the fares higher due to having to incur higher costs at BAA-owned ABZ?

I criticize the BAA frequently, but it must be frustrating trying to get airlines to introduce new routes. When they get an airline to do so, the demand simply isn't there, despite business leaders saying they need direct flights - bmi Reg pulling Brussels/Amsterdam/Kristiansand previously as three more examples; not even an E135/145 could make the routes work for them.

It's almost as if only a 30-seater or less is the only thing that will work for many ABZ routes & even then it's marginal unless like Eastern, the fares are high enough. And who is going to buy an aircraft especially tailoired for ABZ? Indeed, are there any new aircraft in that seat range? JS41 not made anymore, Saab 340 not made anymore.

So is the BAA solely to blame? Or the airlines for either not doing their research, or not giving routes the chance to bed in, or even start.

I think we simply do not have a sufficient catchment area & NE is set in its ways. We are too dependent on the oil industry, & many people still find it preferrable to fly from GLA or EDI for leisure routes, which frustrates the hell out of me.

People keep talking about making this area attractive to inbound tourists, but what are those in charge of promoting this area doing to achieve this? Bugger all it would appear. You may hate the city, but the countryside around is surely some of the most attractive in Scotland?

Sorry, bit of a rant, but 5-6m pax by 2030? A pipe-dream at the moment. Usual ABZ - one step forward, 5 back.

Should I be so gloomy??