PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The mystery of the 757
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2009, 11:05
A300Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the 757. For many years in the late seventies and eighties, I was a very frequent pax on Boeing 737-200's (mainly operated by Britannia Airways in the UK). Then, in 1984, I flew along with the rest of my family to one of the infamous Spanish "Costas" on a BA757 - in the days when it bore the "British" titles with large "757" just ahead of the aft door. The aircraft was registered G-BIKK, and was only two or three days new out the box. I was entirely amazed at how it performed with a very short take off roll, steep climb and quiet to boot.

The overall experience was probably enhanced by the fact that the cabin layout was in traditional "scheduled" configuration, whilst the flight we operated was a charter flight. Therefore, in comparison to the 737, there appeared to be acres of space inside.

I have since flown on 75's of several carriers globally. The aircraft still remains a firm favourite. On my (rarer) visits back to Europe and the need to fly with BA, I am still thrilled when my hops around Europe are performed on a 757, as opposed to one of the Airbus types!

In fact, looking out of my office window right now near to the approach to Dubai Airport, Friday is something of a "757" day, with examples landing in the colours of Finnair, Ethiopian, Vim and - right now as I type this - Baltic Airlines (?), with winglets? Didn't know they had 757's!

Long may it live!