PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Passengers insulting cabin crew. What do you do? here is a case
Old 1st Jan 2009, 23:12
BaronChotzinoff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jumbo, when a passenger is offloaded, the baggage MUST go too... I believe the practise came about after a lot of aircraft bombings back in the 80's (Lockerbie, anyone?) where passengers(terrorists) 'missed' the flight... now the nutters just bring the bag on and stay with it, but it's done to minimise the risk of the would-be bomber who just has to check a bag in and run... I believe it may even be law. Hope this helps explain it for you.
Given the number of Lufthansa flights where my baggage hasn't been on the same plane as I was on, it would make for some interesting games of "Libyan roulette" amongst dedicated terrorists.

firstly the air navigation order instructs all pax to obey the commands of the aircraft commander, the commanders authority is given to the crew, the seat belt light is legal order and to disobey any of the afore mentioned is a criminal offence. secondly to use abusive words or behaviour in a public place is an offence under section 5 of the public order act.
Given that on both out- and inbound flights over Xmas there were middle-aged and otherwise reasonable-looking idiots persistently finnicking with baggage instead of getting their asses on their seats, I'm surprised the book doesn't get thrown more often. In fact I thought it WAS being thrown on one flight as there was a delay due to sorting out an item of baggage which shouldn't have been flying. It only took a few minutes to find so offloading idiots can't be that difficult.

A friend of mine is a nurse in a mental hospital. The technique taught to her and her colleagues is that if a patient becomes angry and/or agressive the nursing staff becomes calmer and soothing - patient gets angrier, nurse gets calmer. It seems to work for her.
As in:- "Yes, now there's a dear, why not try on this lovely cardigan I've got you, it's got these cute little ribbons which get tied round the back ..." Certainly the required action in many of the cases reported here.