PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Huge circuits at Moorabbin and Point Cook
Old 11th Apr 2002, 06:20
kez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
U R Not Alone in VIC

Unfortunately this situation of circuits that could almost be logged as Navs occur also at Bankstown and at Camden.

Bankstown is a nightmare ... especially at night, single engine following some ~!@#@%$@#$ that will not turn base till overhead Warwick Farm (3nm from the Airport)! They seem to be taught this method from their instructors, and are flying the 'slow' trainers (PA38, C150 etc) so you have to slow down even more to wait for them to turn base.

They'd have to land elsewhere if they had an engine failure...

A challenge to slow down in a light twin, and not get angry at the $$$ being wasted while you do some recency checks.

Camden's the same. ATC have actually broadcast on more than one occasion to get the aircraft to "tighten up" their circuits, and I made the mistake one day recently of thinking that the PA38 ahead (and wide) on downwind was departing the zone. I turned base, only to be informed by ATC that I had turned in front of the aircraft ahead on late downwind ... that I was supposed to follow!

Anyway, ...had my winge. I guess an incident report for every occurance may give CASA the idea... and after speaking to BK tower staff, they are just as concerned about the safety problems.. especially with the combo of new pilots, wide circuits, dark, can't glide back to AD.