PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Learning with 100% turbine hours
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2008, 05:09
the beater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm confused.

Your post doesn't give an indication of what you want to do and where you want to do it. First impressions are that it would be in the UK, given your location, but looking back at some of your previous posts I note that you have an FAA medical and intend to work in Canada. Some clarification would help in getting the most appropriate advice.
With regards to your turbine question; although turbine hours count when applying for a turbine job, I'm not sure that it would make much of a difference if you only have minimum hours anyway. Learning on a B206 is going to be very costly compared to an R22 and you might find it difficult to find a school that would let you fly one solo as part of your initial PPL training.
You mention teaching to get 1000 hours and then getting a job in the industry. If this teaching is flight instructing, then this is a job in the industry!
My advice would be to go for the most cost-effective option to gain your licence, leaving more money available for hour-building, IR, etc. With minimum hours you're going to struggle to get that first job, turbine experience or not.
I'm not sure how the helicopter industry is in Canada, but in the UK it doesn't seem as buoyant as it was, although there is always work for those with a good track record; it's getting that first opening to prove yourself that's the problem.