PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - do you use gps
Thread: do you use gps
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2008, 03:44
Sciolistes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chuck,

How disappointing.
Somehow I think you are trolling because even with only 300 hours as a pilot I find it difficult to believe you are trying to convince people that the DR and a pencil and time piece means of navigation is preferable to using the GPS.
I didn't say preferable. In the spirit of harmony and cooperation I have gone back over my posts to try and identify what motivates reaching for the the straw man argument.

It must only come down to this line:
there is absolutely no need for a GPS during a VFR flight
Which you may notice has been toned down a bit in response to Shy Torque's post.
I'll rephrase it to:
there is no specific necessity for the carriage of GPS for the modal average VFR sortie as undertaken in relation to private flying operations/fun/hooliganry. However, I accept that there are going to higher risk mission profiles for which additional tools (such as GPS) should be carefully considered, taking into account workload, proficiency and maintenance.
Happy yet?

Skydriller,
If you have a moving map GPS of any type, there is no way you will ever not know where you are while it is working. Period.
I would tacitly agree for a relatively recent GPS that is designed for VFR flight (with the usual provisos). However, I didn't find the GNS 420 particularly ideal in that regard.

Last edited by Sciolistes; 30th Dec 2008 at 04:11.