PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing Evidence That The Upturn Is Upon Us
Old 28th Dec 2008, 15:45
chrisbl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm afraid you'll find that the modern Skipper is often spending his day in the flightdeck with FO's who owe more to the bank than he does and they have only the banger in the car park and their license to their name. Your hard-ass attitude wouldn't be popular.
I am sure it would not but then I come from a profession which is sufficiently hard assed to stop me working at my full potential if I did go insolvent.

So my personal choices include a very conservative approach to debt.

The real villains are the airlines who with their co-conspirators the FTOs are are letting a lot of people who are unsuitable for the airlines go in for the training with little hope of getting a job. They know the know the aviation business so they know full well what they are doing.

The banks' job on the other hand is to lend money not run airlines. So dont blame them for the lending.

If no one went to any FTO next year the FTOs would be asking the airlines for help. The airlines would be in a real quandry because without helping, the future training capacity would disappear and the airlines might have to bring back their own training schemes.

That would be a good thing; admittedly there would be fewer in training but they would be selected as the most employable by the airline, not as the ones who can borrow the money easiest as seems the current FTO philosophy.