PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any KLM City Hopper new hires on the E190?
Old 27th Dec 2008, 12:58
Otterman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am Canadian, joined KLM in my early 20’s in the latter part of the 1980’s. I have been in the left seat on the 777 for a number of years now. True my ancestry is Dutch, and I spoke passable Dutch upon joining. Nonetheless I am not a product of the KLS system or any other of the regular channels. We have a substantial number of other Canadian, American, Belgium, Norwegian (ex-SAS), South Africans, Israeli, Swiss, and British nationals at KLM. Including pilots trained by the air forces of Belgium, France, Israel, Norway, UK and Switzerland. Most were hired in the late eighties to mid nineties when KLM went through a rapid expansion/retirement phase. And indeed a number came from KLM UK (let’s not open that rancid can again).

In recent years KLM has not had the extreme requirement for crews, and the “regular” channels are providing sufficient number of pilots into the company. In other words I would not be considered if I was to apply today. Ironically KLM was about to open the door further, but the worldwide economic crisis has taken any extra growth out of the system in the near future, and the requirement for crews has been dramatically revised downwards.

The KLS is a wholly owned subsidiary of KLM, and anyone is free to apply to take the course. Hiring preference is given to its graduates, this matches what Lufthansa and Air France do with their programs. If a time comes around again when the normal channels can’t supply the required crews, KLM will open the hiring process to a wider group, as it has in the past.

As far as discrimination goes, please leave the melodrama at the door. Individual grievances are exactly that. There certainly isn’t any systemic problem for foreigners at KLM, all management and training positions are open to all, as I can attest from my current position.

I am sure the comments made by Knee trembler relate to the debacle at KLM UK, and how the Cityhopper brand came about (and please leave it where it belongs in the past, I certainly won’t participate in a rehash). This does not relate in any way shape or form to how it is to operate day to day as a KLM pilot. For ex-KLM UK pilots remember that KLM is no longer a Dutch owned company. We are 100% owned by Air France. So maybe take your pleasure from that fact.

As for your comment about 2011, that has nothing to do with the pilot list (that guarantee expired back in 2007). The 2011 guarantee given by Air France relates to maintaining Schiphol as the second main hub within the group. For the pilots there are agreements in place between KLM, Air France, and the respective unions on how growth and contraction are to be split (2 to 1 as a detail). Each company has its own seniority list, but there is also a third list, which contains all pilots hired after July, 2005. This list combines the pilots hired at Air France and KLM after that date. Nothing is done with this list as far as bidding between the two company goes, but will, I am sure become more significant as the decades pass.

Anyway great the topic (KLM cityhopper new hires on the E190) has been hijacked once again by the bitter people who are having such a hard time moving on with their lives. I can guarantee you that the number of foreign nationals crewing KLM airplanes is substantially higher that it is at British Airways. Or Air France, and Lufthansa for that matter. Both in absolute numbers and as a percentage.

Greetings O.