PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS - Establishment of QD
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2008, 11:13
Domestos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skyshow

You are right. It is interesting when you visit the QD recruitment website how desperate Qantas sounds when they scrape the bottom of the barrel in trying to advertise the benefits:

1. "Working Environment": it states "exciting and flexible". Clearly a blatant lie....there is absolutely no flexibility at all because there will be no bidding, no control of your roster or how you are allocated work or any means of input.

2. "Enjoy Travel": perhaps the company's only best selling point....Staff Travel.

3. "Be Recognised": this one is really, really lame. Somehow they think they can convince people to join because there is a reward program called eXcel....which really is a pin on your lapel and a monetary gift voucher. What a lame selling point this is...hardly enough to make people jump out of their skins.

4. "Uniform": oh please...another lame selling point. Do you really think the police force advertise the fact that you get to wear a uniform in order to entice you to join? Do you really think that Westfield outlines how exciting it would be to wear their uniform if you are applying to be a food court janitor? Get a grip QD! A uniform is hardly a selling point. if you really want to make this one stick...perhaps throw in "we'll even dry clean your uniform for free", maybe then people might give validity to this point.

5. "Further Education": this is a blatant lie. Qantas College is not a higher education body that confers qualifications, clearly the angle that Qantas is pitching at. In reality, Qantas College have cut back courses for staff and only conduct courses that are mandatory for certain parts of the organisation...cabin crew are not one of them. Qantas College is mainly a training facility that QF sub-contracts out to third parties...it is no longer what it used to be.

6. "Finance": another weak selling point. Becoming a staff credit union member is hardly a strong selling point in order to win over potential applicants. The benefits of "a competitive range of products and services" is intrinsic to being a credit union member, not intrinsic to being a QD flight attendant.

7. "Health and Wellbeing": a blantant lie. With the high hour rosters that QD will promulgate, one will definitely not enjoy health and wellbeing....more like fatigue. The provision of "discounted fitness memberships, insurance and childcare" from the Employee Assistance Program is somewhat of a misnomer...I have not seen this advertised openly for existing staff, and if it has been, then it would be some obscure weblink that is embedded deep, deep, deep, within the Qantas Intranet site.

8. "Supporting our Community": another weak selling point. How does QD attract potential flight attendants by advertising its social responsibility to the greater society? More to the point...what has this really got to do with being a flight attendant for QD?????? OK, so Qantas has an environmental policy called "BeGreen"......AND???...how does this DIRECTLY relate to being a flight attendant with QD???? Also...how does Qantas' support for charities got anything to do with trying to convince people to sign up to be FA with QD???? Where is the direct beneficial link??????

9. "Sport and Culture": a potential applicant says to him/herself "Oh goodie....I see there is a Qantas Lawn Bowls team...I'm definitely going to apply to be a flight attendant with QD....I want to be a part of this team".....oh please, get me an inflight sick bag. Do you really think people are gonna be leaping for an application form simply because there are recreational sport teams organised by certain employees at QCC Mascot? I mean really...with the amount of flying that QD will do, there will hardly be any time to sleep or eat, let alone play sports.

10. "Keeping up to date": I nearly fell off my chair in laughter when I read this selling point: "Regular publications, newsletters and information websites are available to all employees to help them keep up to date with the latest Qantas news, events and cabin crew standards ensuring every employee is up to date with the latest of ideas and headlines."

As one can see...all 10 selling points for QD are totally weak and lame. There is obviously no mention of a 'competitive salary' cos clearly, there is none. The only thing that Qantas can rely on to sell this deal to people is the fact that you get staff travel and a Morrissey uniform to wear. Granted, the fine details of this package have yet to be fleshed out....but really, do you think that it will get significantly better?source: www.qantasdomestic.com.au