PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing Evidence That The Upturn Is Upon Us
Old 22nd Dec 2008, 15:37
Re-Heat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the contrary, I quite agree with you, as my post refects. You rather dismissively referred to the yield curve, introducing technical concepts of duration that are unlikely to be understood on this forum. It was without introducing that detail, as you have now done, along with unwarranted aggression that caused your post to be described by myself as dodgy (particularly as the yield curve usually refers to UK gilts).

If you wish to construct a yield curve from LIBOR rates (commonly known as the swap or money market curve), and use those to fund mortgages, then as per my explanation, that is exactly the same as what you are pricing from - ie. your cost of funds.

The mechanism for policy rates is not to alter the interbank rates though as you suggest, but to alter the attractiveness of saving vs lending; thus by reducing rates, saving becomes less attractive, and demand for borrowing tends to rise in the long-term: something that the BoE and government well knows.

There is little need to aggressively shout people down if you want to explain something here - everyone is willing to listen.

I do not care to divulge my background but would rather let my opinions stand on their own.