PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forced unpaid leave at ryanair
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2008, 11:49
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stan and Rhodes, at the very real risk of incurring the unbridled wrath of Grim, Kremin et al I have to say that in relation to BALPA what you say is pretty much my experience. In a previous UK company (BMI) the union reps were in the main just trying to smooth their way into a management position, and I too have cringed at desultory offers which were "the best we can do" ( negotiated over a game of golf and a couple of pints down the local lodge of course ) Having said that the current easyjet deal is a bit more robust, although I fear it may be allowed to slip through their fingers bit by bit if they don't take care.
I believe IALPA are cut from a different cloth, and indeed last year when there was a possibility to make progress it was the BALPA chief (now gone) who let the side down. Having said that I know there has been a great deal of dissapointment at the failures to progress in the Irish courts, but the reason for that lies even higher up the food chain I believe.
In any case unions are in it for their own good of course, it's a business like any other , and Ryanair is a very tasty morsel that they have so far failled to get a hold of.
As you say, many of us can tell the difference between reality and idealism, you are undoubtedly in that camp.
All the best for 2009, lets hope the situation improves for all of us in this industry.

Last edited by captplaystation; 22nd Dec 2008 at 12:08.