PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forced unpaid leave at ryanair
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2008, 09:53
Rhodes13

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stansdead what would be "acceptable" terms and conditions to you?

Lets try and be like CX shall we? Have you read the Fragrant Harbour Forum recently?

Violation of Conditions of Service, disregard for Seniority and thus bypass pay, issues with a Union that is virtually impotent, no real increase in wages for a long long time, ULR and reduction in crew numbers using of basings to lower T and C's of SO and Fo's based in HK. Something to aspire to is it?

Or BA, introduction of a low cost long haul subsidiary on dramatically lower t and c's than mainline, no integration of seniority numbers, no life style protection and all this under a company that is seen as the bastion of BALPA?

Or Virgin, who when they entered the Australian market under Virgin Blue significantly under cut the t and c's of the current 737 pilots and introduced pay for your type ratings to Australia. Then once again reduced terms when they set up Pac Blue to make them some of the worst paid 737 pilots in the world. All led or at least aided and abetted by Richard Branson. He also repeated this feat with Virgin America, whose terms are substantially below those of Southwest pilots.

Whilst I agree this whole charade on unpaid leave is abhorrent and sets a precedent for the future I ask you this. If RYR was to form a union under BALPA and the members balloted for a strike, would you be there in the times of need? Would you support your "comrades" financially? Would you refuse to crew a flight if it was sub leased to RYR? Would you be there to offer a job to those that lose it? Would you be on the picket line as well?

I seem to recall a famous strike in Australia in 1989 that had all people preaching unity unity unity for better t's and c's and when push came to shove it was every man for himself! We had airline pilots coming back into GA and taking jobs off guys who had done the hard yards. But remember they were doing this to protect our conditions. In the end those that could buggered off OS or went back to work!

I WAS a member of BALPA and went to all the meetings until some Fecking Idiot sent out the last letter protesting about unpaid leave. Why should I support a cause that will result in my job loss? Unfortunately in my eyes and many others BALPA are just as bad as RYR. They are dividing and conquering, but with a lot more hot air! Instead of trying to unite the group under one pilot body their response? We'll seek recognition for RYR employees first then well think about Brookfields, this after repeatedly ignoring requests to get a ruling on the legality of Brookfield "contractors"

So sorry if I agree to disagree with you about the union being the cure to all our ills! If there is one thing I have learnt in life is that no matter what people say they will always look after themselves and their family first and foremost and the rest of us can go and get stuffed

Last edited by Rhodes13; 22nd Dec 2008 at 10:18.