PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Tiger Tales
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2008, 05:24
UNOME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Spots and Strips...

I have spent sometime discussing terms and conditions over copious pints with some Tiger employees, and I have been left in no doubt that the contract at Tiger is not “similar” to Jetstar or Virgin.

For a start Tiger pilots are employed under a “bare bones” AWA (not sure what happens when the AWAs are abolished??) and Jetstar/ Virgin under EBAs, which results in big differences in many ways.

Another fact is that since Tiger commenced operations 5 years ago, the pilots have not had a pay rise, and the AWAs/ Singapore contracts do not allow for CPI increase or any other cost increases. According to their CEO, a pay increase is not on the agenda for the next 5 year period.

This has resulted in Tiger pilots being paid considerably less than other comparable carriers, while receiving almost none of the usual benefits.

While it is normal for LCCs to have high staff turnover rates, it appears that Tiger has hit the alarm bell recently. While employment remained steady over the past 12 months, it is in reality just replacement, given that Tiger still only has 4 aircraft.

I would suggest that if you miss out on all other carriers in Australia, then Tiger is a “bare bones” short term option… oh and don’t bitch about it.