PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airvan
Thread: Airvan
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2008, 09:43
HarleyD

Location: Aus, or USA, or UK or EU, or possibly somehwere in Asia.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiz of Auz - ailerons in Flitchers used to be absolutely atrocious, but then the 950's got the end plates and they were improved to be merely abysmal, that's why the stick was about 4 foot long and FU24 pilots had one arm bigger than the other like a crab. the stabilator provided light pitching loads but the rudder pedals might well have been just painted on the back of the firewall for all the use they were.

fast forward to the 21st century....750XL rudder that works, ailerons that are acceptable, but a forward regardless stick force per G gradient that is almost vertical, never mind using the rudder to balance a steep turn, you have both feet on the dash while you pull with both hands. I am looking forward to PAC's next effort with control harmony. I must say that i really appreciated that long stroke oleo gear that would soak up the roughest bumps on crappy strips and give a sweet ride.

As far as seats, i flew fletchers with seats ranging from the old style bench seats to stackable plastic chairs, adapted cessna seats and finally the GA seats in the 750, none of them perfect. If the loader driver was a good bloke you could let him sit in with you, unlike the Pawnee and AgWagon where they had to get in the hopper in the good old days. I am sure that ANY seat would have been considered comfy by those luckless and expendable chaps that the top dressing enterprise essentially depended on. I some time wonder if Dean's bruises ever healed after i had tó 'discipline' him on the way out to the job one morning, at least he didn't fall out the top or bottom of the hopper.

Drifting from the original question a little I suspect.

HD

HD