PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - accident in austria, flight UK to hungary (?)
Old 20th Dec 2008, 20:35
vanHorck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
descend to 2300 ft QNH from the VOR, cancel IFR and announce intending to join right hand circuit for 13 at Sierra

track outbound from the VOR to Sierra and join Sierra whilst still slowly descending till visual (probably intermittent) at around 1400 ft QNH = about 600ft QFE or perhaps a touch lower. It would be the logical thing to do on a non ILS field if you were intent on landing there it seems to me, perhaps with the anticipated diversion to Vienna if not visual at 500 ft AGL (let s try it, i can always divert to Vienna if i can t get visual at 500). I m not advocating this, please note, i m following the get-home-itis bug here). The error here would have been to continue descent from the MDA to a bad weather circuit level which is only there for non-IR flyers, who got in trouble in the first place... but it is a line of thought i can follow from a get-home-itis bug IR victim

The downwind for 13 is almost on the 310 radial of the VOR anyway, so tracking out is easy from the VOR.

I think how to get to Sierra is less of an issue. What we re really missing here is factual information on the weather state at the time of the accident, true cloud base, how scattered was it at 600 ft, was the horizon (mountains) obscured with total coverage?

I saw on youtube btw that most circuits are flown left hand for 13, but i guess for noise abatement the left hand circuit is pretty tight for a Malibu perhaps, also coming from the VOR it would make little sense.

Perhaps the Fluglehrer from Vienna could comment on common practice and the real weather and snow cover?
IO540 how about my theory?