PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Demotivated....Ideas Please.
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2008, 23:21
harrip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a PPL myself I can identify quite strongly with you sunfish.

I think the point made re commercial flying schools v recreational is very valid. I've always flown through clubs rather than the more commercial schools so guess come flight test time I've not had quite the same quandary regarding the test. In fact, I try to add a new skill as I approach the renewal so I don't have a flight test as such. My last two renewals were covered by doing a CSU and retract rating and more recently a Night Rating. An Aerobatic rating may be for you - but consider the other add on's that may also help your flying.

I've taken the decision to try not to stand still with my flying and trying to move on to the next level. To this aim I'm now working towards a CPL and hopefully later an Instructor rating. This is still not without issue. For instance, I am finding it very hard to justify the cost of flying these days. I did a return flight to Bourke the other week and the cost of the aircraft hire came in at over $1,800. Now I know flying is expensive, but I could have got to the UK for that.

The only way I can think of justifying the cost is that by working towards an instructor rating with a goal of ultimately doing part time instruction, it will be an investment that I will hopefully get some return on (although the money would most likely earn more sat in the bank there is always the enjoyment factor to consider!).