PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Demotivated....Ideas Please.
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2008, 16:14
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
Demotivated....Ideas Please.

Maybe it's just the time of year, but I'm due for a flight review and am starting to think about whether I want to proceed with this game.

I'm a simple PPL who flies for the heck of it, usually to escape winter for a while and do a bit of touring. I'm cheesed off about a number of things.

The first is that I'm getting heartily sick and tired of the thinly disguised annoyance at all the major schools, chocked full of foreign students spending big money to be airline pilots, when I walk in and enquire about hiring an aircraft or finding an instructor for an hour or Two.

For example, I was informed of a certain amount of "irritation" when I hired a certain aircraft for a few weeks to do some touring because it interfered with the training of some people, not withstanding the fact that I put at least as many hours on it as it would have had if left on the flight line.

I've tried to find someone to continue my aerobatics work after my instructor left, but I get the impression that instructors at Two schools are just too busy to want to bother teaching me. They obviously don't need my money. The crowding in the circuit is also getting on my nerves.

I used to approach a flight review as a learning opportunity, and would seek out the oldest, least bold, and most experienced instructor I could to put together an interesting, demanding and creative learning experience as I was put through my paces.

Well, there don't seem to be many old characters left around Melbourne these days, and the thought of spending $600 - $800 to listen to all the platitudes I've heard before from some bored young turkey as we drag ourselves around the country doesn't exactly thrill me. I'm also getting sick and tired of the constant need to put my hand in my pocket for ERSA and charts, ASIC, Medical, etc.

Maybe it's just that time of year, but I'm seriously de motivated about staying current, I get the impression that myself and other PPLs are being crowded out, and I don't know what to do about it.