PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Public Sector Pensions Overpaid
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2008, 08:14
8-15fromOdium

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TOFO, thanks for engaging. Please accept my apology I do not mean to collectively slag off all those who work in the private sector, nor everyone who leads companies in the private sector, but that select and significant minority (typified by the CBI) who continually trumpet a private good, public bad message. Although I admit the tone of my previous posts are far too sweeping!

However, what Simon Jenkin was getting at (I think, (my) previous posts are an indicator of poor performance) is that the privatisation mentality is what is effecting public services. Even in public services where privatisation has not occured, the 'consultants' have been in and enforced changes on public organisations. There are some things that should remain public and other services that are better in the private sphere, I feel that too many services that should be public are now private (look inside the Education, Health and Defence depts) and although initially these services are cheaper, over time they get more expensive (when public capacity to perform the role is gone) and the service is rarely better, or indeed as good and hence end up costing a whole lot more, to all taxpayers.

The doctrinaire approach of some Captains of Finance and Industry have caused this current crisis and I fear the 'more of the same' calls by groups such as the CBI are going to make it much, much worse.

Finally TOFO I apologise (again) for 'blowing off' at millions of hard working people in the private sector they are indeed the people we are paid to serve. Perhaps it's that sentiment of collectivism that my more specific target from the previous paragraph need to adopt.

BTW - Where is my award, you didn't send it by TNT did you??