PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EDINBURGH
Thread: EDINBURGH
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2008, 19:54
PPRuNe Radar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munneyspinner

It is a matter of record that flight profiles for long haul out of Edinburgh in most prevailing wind conditions are as good if not better than GLA.
Where is this record ? I'd be quite interested in reading it, if only to see what a 'good' profile has been defined as.

I have heard that CAA has been asked to look at full time simultaneous ops on the intersecting Runways which will boost capacity at peak hours although, you are right that capacity is a function of stand availability not ATMs.
The CAA will not in fact undertake any work on such a proposal as they are a Regulator and not a provider. In accordance with the Airspace Charter, it is up to the airport authority or the Air Traffic Unit to formulate any proposal and provide arguments and mitigations to prove to the Regulator it is safe. The CAA will then approve or reject the proposal depending on how it meets the safety issues and complies with appropriate legislation.

Runway length isn't everything and terrain clearance can be an issue if you look at the SIDs for GLA and EDI you will see what I mean.
Read the SID charts and note the climb gradients required. Edinburgh DCS/TRN SIDs for jets require a climb gradient on 7.7% for RW24 and 8% for RW06. For TLA SIDs (all non jet departures plus jets departing via TLA), the gradient is 7.4% for RW24 and 3.4% for RW06.

The highest gradient you will find for Glasgow on any SID is the TRN SID with a gradient of 7%. All the others are much lower in value.

That suggests to me that performance requirements out of Glasgow, even with closer terrain, is much less of an issue than it is at Edinburgh.

As Skipness 1E stated:

When you say that GLA has rapid ascents to avoid terrain it shows that you clearly know squat about the subject matter. Where on Earth did you extract that little gem from?
with which I (and the SID charts) agree, although I would be a touch more diplomatic I think.