PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - accident in austria, flight UK to hungary (?)
Old 17th Dec 2008, 15:51
Butterfly_2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been trying to follow this thread from the beginning. I am not a pilot (I have a medical background), just a colleague of this great pilot Gerry who had this tragic accident. I have been flying with him, like many of my colleagues and customers for (long) business trips and none of us have ever felt unsafe!
I have to say, I do agree with his brother Henny and still think that his crash has been caused by his health (e.g. brain damage, heart failure). He was a very experienced safe pilot and instructor, never willing to take any risk (also not in case of time pressure). He even always analyzed crashes from the past, explaining what the pilot in charge should have done (I know this is after all always easier).
What I do not understand from the discussion above (my lack of knowledge?) is that in case his health should not have been the cause, when he was flying VFR heading to runway 13 (after all the in this thread suggested steps he did before) and suddenly flying into the fog, how can be explained that Gerry would have continued his altitude or even descent (he has been there before), while the most logical reaction would have been to climb and start later on the approach all over again?
For family, colleagues and friends it is very difficult to believe OUR Gerry did NOT crash because of his health and this question is standing in the way for me when I try to follow the technical discussions.

Thanks

Last edited by Butterfly_2; 17th Dec 2008 at 19:37.