PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - accident in austria, flight UK to hungary (?)
Old 17th Dec 2008, 13:37
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reason I don't like the term "get-home-itis" is because it is used by the people who run GA as an excuse for the limited PPL training.

In reality, it is bad decisionmaking, under pressure. But every flight is done under pressure. Most other things are done too; this morning I decided to get an xmas tree but I also had to take the car in for a service, so not a lot of time to play before doing a little 1hr flight on a nice day like today. Imagine the huge pressure Ryanair pilots are under to do the 20-30 minute turnaround. Yet, they don't crash often because they fly new-ish planes (which rarely have bits falling off), follow strict rules, and fly automated procedures to "easy" airports with mostly "easy" approaches. One needs to get into a discipline to do the same. Easier said than done though!! I am sure everybody who can (or even cannot) fly on instruments has done something they regretted afterwards, myself included.

What happened here we will never know for 100% sure but like I said I have a pretty damn good idea.

Edited to avoid thread getting sidetracked.

Last edited by IO540; 17th Dec 2008 at 15:16.