PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - accident in austria, flight UK to hungary (?)
Old 17th Dec 2008, 08:15
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't believe in "get-home-itis" but if one were going to execute a DIY approach in this weather (prob99 solid IMC from ~ 5000ft AMSL to ~ 700ft AGL) one would be executing a certain plan, flying a certain track, and one doesn't want to be distracted by radio calls, until one is ready to report visual on something like a 2 mile final.

I think that while there are multiple scenarios, the weather data is impossible to ignore. I would not have even attempted the approach, having heard that weather data (tower or ATIS) from 20-30nm away, and would have headed straight to Vienna, or elsewhere where it is suitable.

UK to Austria is only about 2hrs in a Jetprop (~260kt TAS) so the TAFs, and also the METARs, would have been there for all to see well before departure, so an alternate would have been planned. This pilot was after all highly qualified.

OTOH, it is always 100% legitimate to have a go at an approach (the visibility was OK for an IR pilot) but, in this case, I think he was in solid IMC once he descended below about 5000ft altitude. Of course one cannot be 100% sure but that is what I think.

Last edited by IO540; 17th Dec 2008 at 09:33.