PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - accident in austria, flight UK to hungary (?)
Old 16th Dec 2008, 18:01
vanHorck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes I agree, the peculiarity is the early IFR cancellation when he was still well west of the field. Normal procedure in my view would be to cancel IFR perhaps near or at the VOR, well south of the field (5 nm).

So cancelling IFR relatively early-on without announcing a diversion to another airfield (therefore apparantly intending to land at Bad Voslau) suggests in my view:

1 (assumed) visual contact with the field and intending a VFR approach to either 31 or 13.
2 no visual contact with the field but (assumed) awareness of VFR position sufficient to continue VFR to the field, perhaps between layers with BKN clouds below.

The pilot has been there before so must have been aware of the broad picture VFR and the procedures as intended

Perhaps someone flying a turbine Mirage can tell us what the effect is of landing her on a 950m hard runway with a 12 knot tailwind? Would this be grounds to change to 13 (no IFR approach)?