PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - accident in austria, flight UK to hungary (?)
Old 16th Dec 2008, 08:06
172driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotorblast, for whatever reason you seem to be on some sort of personal crusade against this pilot. Let me just tell you - this is NOT the place for it. If you have something to contribute to the discussion about possible causes of the accident, then say so. If not - shut up, I at least find your attitude disgusting.

Now back to the accident. In the article I referenced earlier, an Austrian investigator is quoted as attributing the accident to pilot disorientation. To quote - "trying to find the airport, he underestimated the Lindkogel (mountain where accident happened). That was the problem - he was on his way to the approach zone, but on this way there was an obstacle - the mountain"

The article also mentions that he circled, although does not elaborate.

It's been many years, but I have flown to LOAV a couple of times. The field lies at the last foothills of the 'Vienna Woods', i.e. the eastern slopes of the Alps. Approaching from the west, you would more or less track the slopes down until on final or in the circuit. Why he would try to land at LOAV when a very comfortable approach was available a few miles away at LOWW will most likely remain his secret.

Henny, my condolences.