PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LEEDS 5
Thread: LEEDS 5
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2008, 20:31
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice to see that tool rainboe has surfaced before christmas, i was worried there'd be a mountain of milk bottles outside his door after he'd bored himself to death by repeating his same old bullsh1t to himself.
saves me from ringing 999, thanks.
Chaps, it's a bit sad that in response to criticism of the place from an operational POV, the fact that it comes from 'namby pamby southerners' is used to denigrate the comments! This is the highest airport in the UK, god-awful weather, surrounded by dales, with the runway conveniently at 90 degrees to the prevailing wind. Built on top of a hill, with nice views from the 32 holding point across the city (because you are on the edge of an escarpment), it has a too-short runway that is guaranteed to loosen your fillings, and run off the end of 14, you are guaranteed to not be alive at the bottom because it's well steep! (Hint to pilots- reject to right whatever you do. You're still going to go downhill, but maybe you stand a little more chance!).

It distresses me a lot of people have a lot of faith in this dodo. It's been kept alive in the typical British fashion of proping dead things and machinery up in the hope nobody will notice they died 25 years ago, a bit like Lapland New Forest. It's a waste of energy. Leeds deserves better! I am not anti-Yorkshire at all (though I think John Smiths tastes as though it's passed through too many sheeps' digestive systems first on its way to the brewery). As a UK taxpayer, I would like to see a complete new airport built (like somewhere near a motorway/rail terminal!) and shared with Wakefield and Barnsley, though the reason that dead duck is kept afloat is Bradford wants it. Face it, the Leeds metropolitan area is always going to be stiffled if this is the only airport, always failing in its expansion because people can't find it or get to it, or anybody sustain long range services from it! So what if some mugs paid a fortune- selling this as development land with spectacular views would have helped fund a new airport (no it wouldn't- it would have gone into that black hole called 'council gold plated pensions'). Those mugs must be staring into their coffee each day thinking 'what have we done?'.

It's not working. Leeds needs more. I actually like the place. You could improve it by speaking Hampshire up there, but it has to be the biggest city with the lamest airport in Europe. The answer is not to do it on the cheap any more! You don't keep old cars going indefinitely. this is the Morris 1000 of the airport world- a Noddy car. Eventually you buy a BMW, and then realise you should have got one years ago because it's so good and the Noddy car is actually appalling. What's a billion these days? It's only about 1/1000th of what Robber Brown will fund to banks and building societies in this recession on our behalf (meaning WE pay for it). I will sign a petition to take this airport to the vets and have it put down gently and taken to the scrap yard and buy Leeds a shiny new one! You have only to ask. It's a labour government and you are northerners- you'll get what you want. Look at Northern Rock!

I shall start on Southampton Airport next. What a pathetic monument for Solent city! We got troubles down here too.

Back in 6 months guys! Don't waste your energy on something that has conked out on you! The big end has definitely gone, and the bodywork has got holes in it.

Last edited by Rainboe; 15th Dec 2008 at 20:45.