PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LIDO charts and manuals
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2008, 16:51
woodja51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
charts - ???

Why do we need charts any way... I thought the whole idea of living in the 20th century was to get rid of paper!!!

if you load the FM with the sid /star or approach why do i need to look at a piece of paper to make sure it is ok - if that was done correctly in the first place then there would be no need. ( in fact at Ek we now have a bulletin saying that if we dont have the chart it is ok to rely on the fm if the database is up to date... means I dont need to pull the chart out really at all??)

Hmm let me see.... ils minima... well if I used 250 AAL every time I would probably be right!!

Frequencies - they tell you these any way.... good for pre-loading but that is what 121.5 is for if you get lost...

Taxiing ... hmmm follow the greens .. works well or follow me ... or ask left or right...

grooved runways... who cares ?? you brake to stop before you run out of runway

Transition... in the FM

ATIS ... in the ACARS...( if D atis)

papi/vasi/t vasi... easy to work out just buy looking at things .. and we don't do visual approaches so who really cares.. the runway lights could be out and it wouldn't really make any difference to me..that is what a FPV is for!

yes I know this sounds like it is all too easy for modern airports and wont work every where.

the big thing I don't understand is how come the coding of FM points and constraints etc is different to the Jepps/LIDO..

Does anyone else get confused when the SID out of SIngapore for example has 'above 8000' constraints on one chart ( the graphical) and yet on the text chart it says ' initial climb 3000') So what do you put in the FCU... lets say you are missing the text chart??? Really doesnt matter as you can alway ask I guess....

and the FM has B030 or A080 etc etc ( or is it 30B or 80A ?? ) which is hard to match with the line on the altitude chart etc.

An accident or !@#$@!#$ up waiting to happen I reckon..

but what do I know ... only been flying for 30 years...

ps ... prefer Jepps as used to them... LIDO - colours are nice but I prefer .... NONE!
Try it one day ... don't pull them out and see if it makes a difference to your day.. other than your comfort zone...

Woodja the unprofessional pilot apparently....