PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun 2008-2009 season
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2008, 15:10
dogismycopilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaking in his (desert) boots

Uh... why do I get so nervous when I post on this thread -- feel like I'm taking a checkride!

Anyway, lots of good comments lately -- it's swell to see the old hands contributing. I'm glad a couple of you reminded us of why we should be going to Maun. I have a feeling, though, that even the guys who mention time-building as their overriding motive have chosen Maun for other reasons too; e.g. pink gins at sunset viewed through a slightly misty monocle, Black Mambas in the loo, shooing kudu (I didn't say "shooting") on short final at a grass strip, being dashingly romantic in your khaki shorts and deep tan, swapping lies with fellow bush aviators and anyone else drunk enough to listen... Thanks DSB, nibbio, et. al.

WP, you rock! Quick question: Are my US FAA licenses gonna be ok or do we need JAA there? This is important to us Yanks (not w*nks) cuz otherwise we might be going over for nothing!

Vilasy, I second the motion: bring your car. (Of course we might have ulterior motives -- don't let anyone turn you into a free taxi service!)

ragdragger, PM me please. I live in Mill Valley.

As I said earlier, might be going to Namibia instead of Bots. Can let you all know how opportunities are there once I arrive (if anyone's interested).

Thanks
PS There's a witty, informative little book about the life of a safari guide (not a pilot) in Bots called "Whatever you do, don't Run", by an Aussie named Peter Allison. Published in 2007