PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any KLM City Hopper new hires on the E190?
Old 13th Dec 2008, 12:51
zomerkoning

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So many different discussions going on within one thread. Probably a good idea to start at the beginning.

1. People moving to the E190 fleet and pilot lists within KLM.

Okay, to start of, KLM has a very strange internal system with regards to pilot seniority lists. There used to be 3 companies, KLM Mainline, KLM Cityhopper (which flew the Fokker 70 and a few 100's) and KLM Cityhopper UK (Air UK bought up and painted in KLM colours due to the takeover).

A few years a ago, the pilots who where hired by KLM Cityhopper NL and KLM mainline where merged into one list and one company, KLM N.V. This meant that KLM Cityhopper pilots previously employed by KLM Cityhopper NL where now employed by KLM Mainline and temporarly loaned to KLM Cityhopper. This was a lengthy process all done under the VNV (Dutch BALPA). I wasn't in Cityhopper at the time and I don't know the exact dealing that went on, but I do hear that there was a lot of problems with list, Cityhopper vs. Mainline and also the UK pilots who where employed by KLM Cityhopper UK, who were cut out of the deal. The Dutch side was finally formalised, but on the English side there were some nasty tricks pulled by the management I heard. Again I was not at Cityhopper at the time so I don't know first hand. To come back to one post, at the moment no court cases going on about seniority, haven't been any for some time.

So the situation now, there are 2 groups of pilots at Cityhopper. Group 1, mainly Dutch pilots on the master KLM list employed by KLM Mainline and loaned to Cityhopper and Group 2, English pilots who didn't go over to mainline at the time (for what reasons I will not delve into) and who are employed by KLM Cityhopper UK.

When a pilot enters KLM you do not get a choice where you go, they send you where you are needed. So that could be FO on the F50/70/100 or now also the E190 (all same payscale) or SO on the MD11/A330/777/747. Every 6 months you get a letter where you can see how many people are going to be trained on what positions for the next 6 months. You can then tick a box to apply for that position. Now, to get it they look at a few things.

1. Binding (Bonding) on type, you have a cetrain time you should remain on type unless the company really needs you to go onto another type.

2. List position, depending on when you entered the company you have a place on the seniority list, first on the list, first to get what you want.

The first few crews for the E190 bypassed this principle as they are training crews and came almost exclusivly from the F50/70/100 fleets. But starting Jan. it's the normal bidding procedure. So probably some SO coming off the LH fleet joining as FO's on the E190, some FO's transfering from the F50/70/100 because they want a new challenge, some FO's from the 737 fleet as Capt. on the E190 and some Capt. 50/70/100 as capt. on the E190.

In short the only way you are going to get on the E190 is by being on the KLM master list. (there are some exeptions as there are from what I heard a few KLM Cityhopper UK guys on the E190).

And before you ask, it is not possible to join KLC UK anymore as a pilot, they don't take anyone anymore, only cabin crew and that is getting less every year.

2. KLM hiring practices

At the moment to get into he KLM Mainline list you have to go through the KLM application procedure, as described at PPJN.

I can tell you there are quite a few pilots within KLM (both mainline and cityhopper) who think the application procedure is bollocks. The Dutch language requirement I think personally is fair (no different with LH/BA/AF) but the other requirements I have my doubts.

On the other side don't try to forget that KLM has it's own school in Eelde and have a vested interest in keeping that running at a profit, a way of doing that is making it so that you have to go there before you can enter the KLM. Fair no, economic yes....

Will KLM change it's policy anytime soon, I doubt it. Even though the new head of Flight operations didn't go to the KLM Flight Academy (I think he went to the NLS).

3. KLM Pilot arrogance

This is a difficult one. I think there are 2 sides to this story. Are there KLM pilots who are arrogant, certainly, especially some SO's straight out of the KLM flight academy who haven't landed anything heavier than a Baron IRL. But I seem to think they are more an exception than a rule at KLM, they usually get straightened out by more senior pilots after a while...

Another thing which I know first hand is Dutch attitude and the way they communicate. Dutch are incredibly direct (a term within BA was used to describe Dutch applicants as having to much Dutchness), this quite often comes over as arrogant, when it is not intented that way. (I should know I'm half Dutch).

Lastly, I feel there are arrogant pilots everywhere, in percentage more within the legacy carriers. I don't know where it comes from, but it must have something to do with the fact they fly with a bigger company. KLM, AF, BA, LH they all have there fair share and I don't agree with the assumption that KLM is the only one with that problem.

Euhmm I think I answered all the questions and replyed to some of the comments.... time to hit the AOM and BOM again, simsession coming up...