PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - STN Security declares war on pilots
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2008, 10:05
Romeo India Xray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the meeting to which I alluded earlier in this thread, I learnt a lot about the UK CAA. When I was a pilot under their systems, they were nigh on the enemy.

Now as an expat Brit I was back there talking with my oposite number. I found out that in many respects they are the ones stuck between a rock and a hard place. When I go to work I have the relatively simple task of implementing JAR/EU FCL/OPS etc, as I interpret them and exercising due diligence. For us, we a small unit with a relatively simplistic structure and a "get it done" philosophy. Our flight crews can come in and have a chat any time, get advice in person etc.

The UK CAA has to deal with varying reporting lines through an organisation and political framework that is probably bigger than the whole civil service here! I came away from that meeting feeling pretty sorry for them (as much as I thought it would be impossible to feel sorry for the CAA).

I suspect that in the UK, any real change in the "security" situation would have to come from the Dft, and while there are politicians looking for votes how likely is that to happen?

The only route to a resolution of this madness is if politicians feel it on the votes balance sheet. The only way to make that happen is by a concerted effort to cause disruption to the travelling public. Our problem is that we are professionals and this goes against our very fabric. Maybe prune should have a thread dedicated to thinking of ways to bring an end to the farsical elements of crew security.

RIX