PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - STN Security declares war on pilots
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2008, 09:20
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somehow I think the CAA might be on the same planet as these security people.

I had a visit to the Belgrano where I needed to see someone about a licencing matter. I had gone to Licencing but it turned out that I needed Policy, over Licencing in the grand order of things.

All that was allowed was to talk to the Policy bod on an internal telephone line. To be allowed into their inner sanctum and be seated across from them was simply not on offer. It had been acceptable for me to travel all the way to CAA headquarters but I was not going to make it that extra 500 metres to their office, no. That said a lot to me about how we aviation professionals are treated by a prime service provider.

It is not a wild jump of the imagination from that to being harrassed by numpties at security checkpoints with absolutely no credit being given for showing, say, a licence or a logbook. I can see a point in this; you might have people who are so dull they just cannot tell the difference between a terrorist and a common or garden variety aviation professional so that they have to zero in on me as having something exceptional in my baggage such as epaulettes and a noise-cancelling headset with spare batteries.

You stand there patiently watching them run the stuff back and forth through the X-ray machine, peering intently at the image on the screen, when you would expect some procedure where they just ask, "Are you a pilot? Can you show me your licence and logbook?" say. That is clearly far too much to expect from people with no "people skills".