PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - STN Security declares war on pilots
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2008, 04:07
Romeo India Xray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LGW has been a bad one for me in this respect. Was flying back home on an ID ticket in order to facilitate getting through LGW security, with the intention of doing a CAA observation of one of our crews (I had just come from a meeting with the UK CAA). Came to check-in and was told "flight full - go away" (or about the same number of words with same effect). I suggested I would be taking the jumpseat however the not-so-young lady informed me that even off duty company employees are not allowed on the jumpseat. I assured her in no uncertain terms that CAA inspectors ARE allowed on the jumpseat, and I was happy to call an inspector of the UK CAA to explain things to her as slowly as was necessary - magically a boarding pass was produced!

Next at security, I got the no wearing of pass thing (even though it was just on a lanyard and stuffed into my shirt pocket at the time). I explained that it is a requirement that passes are worn when on duty and I most certainly was on duty. According to this McD reject I was not on duty becasue I was not in uniform. I was now intent on fighting the principle of the thing (in lieu of removing said pass and stuffing it in my flight bag). I offered to make the call to our CAA who would be happy to call the UK CAA who I am sure would be happy to call the airport manager in order to inform him that an inspector was being obstructed in the line of his duty. A rejected 1 star McD burger flipper then came over and whispered a word or two to the first one. Nothing more said.

I really do sympathise with you guys who have to go through this discrimination on a daily basis.

RIX