PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - STN Security declares war on pilots
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2008, 18:13
fullyspooled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can understand the frustration of crews having to put up with the "numptiness" of many so called security regulations, and security jobsworths, but the best way to approach the problem is not through complaining (it has done nothing to date), but rather we should beat them at their own game - especially when it comes to ID passes for those who work in the field of corporate aviation.

Many of us don't have, and like me don't know where to go to obtain a "Crew ID" that seems to be required at so many airports nowadays. I'm not even sure that such a thing exists, but on so many occassions we are asked to produce one.

An American freelancer I recently used showed me a trick that works well at all airports, and for us at least the problem has been resolved.

The solution: A VERY professional looking card, one that he made on his computer, and had encased in hard plastic! It features only TRUTHFULL infomation which includes name, dob, licence number, aircraft reg, company name, expiry date and airport base, plus a load of nonsense bull**** including a bar code that means nothing at all (I'm using the price tag for a packet of crisps on mine!).

On the first day I flew with him to Germany I, with my licence and passport, was not permitted to return airside to fly the the plane I had landed an hour or so earlier. He, on the otherhand, with his home made ID was waved straight through! It took me 30 mins of arguing before I was permitted back to my airplane to join him.

Now, with my fancy looking ID, I can go anywhere - and on many occassions it has worked well as a substitute for my passport. It's worked at London's finest, and their worst (Stansted), and has so far been accepted everywhere throughout Europe, and with no bother whatsoever in USA.

Interestingly, at Stansted, it wasn't needed on one occassion when I had left it in the airplane. I was dircted to an airside entance that "will not require to see it!"

We all know that most of the numpties know nothing at all about the real regulations, so use your intelligence rather than vent anger. Outsmart them.....not by breaking the law in anyway, simply by showing them a card that states all of the truthful facts about you, your licences, your company and your airplane. What could be the harm in that - happy crew, happy jobswoirths!