PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun 2008-2009 season
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2008, 17:36
waiterpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A childlike aviator

Originally Posted by ducksoup79
or my old favourite "Are you old enough to fly?"
I got that every flight I did - and I was only sat in the front watching! Based on the (large) assumption somebody will let me fly their planes out there, I think I'll have to get used to that line, particularly from the Americans it seems. Not only that - even after I explained I wouldn't be touching anything - there was a party who were obviously so overjoyed that they had survived this flight with a child near the controls I had to pose for many photos. I'm not a piece of meat!

Thankfully I have had alot of practice with that sort of thing. People used to ask me if I was old enough to be a waiter let alone be in charge of an aircraft. I never once got ID'd in Botswana (although I did on the flight out) - life is full of small victories.

Thanks to the guys posting letting us know the down side to Maun. As has been said before - I think the main point is that if you get on with people (both the people you work with and the pax), and you can live in what an estate agent would probably call a 'functional' environment (with the welcome addition of donkeys) for a year or two then you should be okay.

Even if you go out thinking it will be fine and find you don't like it, what's the worst that can happen? Just go back - although the wasted money may provide a little more incentive to stay... Make sure you decide to do this before you have started training for a job though! I heard tales of people starting and then buggering off - doesn't make you too popular.

Csanad007: I apologise profusely. Less money on beer is always a bad thing. I also wish I had your boss! I could go and aerially photograph some trout (I have got to know them intimately over the last two years) - Does your boss need this service?

Encounter150: You don't need any C206 time to apply - the company will sort all those requirements out for you. Don't know of any schools that have a 206 in the UK, although if you find one, it certainly wouldn't do any harm to your chances of employment.