PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - STN Security declares war on pilots
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2008, 10:50
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is a strict BAA requirement that ID passes must not be on show when going through security as a passenger, and infringement can result in total confiscation of the pass! Ignorance is no excuse- even though you may never have seen any such rule elsewhere if you were non-BAA!

I wear mine on a lanyard with the pass in a shirt pocket. One of the muppets said 'what is in your pocket?' because the beeper kept going off. I pulled out the ID card and said 'ID'. He then started to object saying 'you must not wear an ID card!' I tried to say as patiently as possible I wasn't and it was he who insisted I get it out! Best talk to them very slowly and quietly, and not use big words!

BALPA is as powerless as we are. Believe me, they have tried raising the problem everywhere! It has to be accepted that with every incident, a response by the politicians has to be demonstrated. It is far easier to make visible and obvious 'improvements' in security to the relatively few crew rather than to the great mass of people who pass thrugh security. The politicians and civil servants then have a tick in the box of 'adequate response given?' What is going on in this newly created security empire/monster transcends even BALPA. Actually it also transcends even the CAA. It goes right up to the minister and DfT, and whilst 'incidents' are continually occuring, the last thing they will do is backpeddle on security in any way. The ongoing risk of an obligatory resignation will stop them easing off security requirements in any way. While nutters drive into terminals and idiots attack airports, we are stuck with this other bunch of idiots and incompetents called 'security' and the 'BAA'!

The one way we can control this is henceforth, any aeroplane with a politician on board will mysteriously not depart UK shores until they remove their useless carcase. It is the only thing that will get them listening and doing something. Nothing else will work! With the enormous breaks they have, they are seasoned travellers. Spoil that and we will get them listening.