PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What happens within NATS after the pension results are in??
Old 11th Dec 2008, 11:20
anotherthing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ben Doonigan

Some strange things stated by Mr Barron on the 'Current state of ATCO recruitment' page that you linked to…
Meanwhile UK service provider NATS introduced a different approach to staff retention. Paul Barron’s appointment as CEO four years ago, brought with it sweeping changes within the company. “We were losing good controllers abroad, moral was low, there was a strong attachment to the profession but not to the company,”
Does he honestly think that morale has increased during his tenure? I can honestly state that on the operational side, people are more disenchanted with NATS than ever before.

…he says. “We had a mountain to climb in terms of change and getting the controllers to feel like they belong to the company”. NATS began an open dialogue
-
that’ll be destinations and Vision 2011 – didn't exactly engage the operational staff
with its staff to spread core values of trust
, what trust – it has been eroded, not improved,
loyalty
even more
staff are now looking to move elsewhere, the pension was the one thing that stopped many from going abroad,
recognition, leadership, communication and sharing success. Internal websites, extensive training programmes and transparency across the business are among the new business practices.
that'll be recognition through the money wasting dinners and ceremonies that the elite few get inivted to...

“We are closing two centres from four, we are moving 2,500 people around the country. If you want to tackle a pension scheme that is the most generous in country, but our customers cannot afford it; and you want to agree three year flat pay deals
3 Year pay deals – I hope the union realises this is against our interests. ,
you have to have good relationship
not evident amongst operational staff, I’m afraid,
and explain why it is in the company’s long term interest.
By trying to bully through a course of action, perchance?

Mr Barron seems to have done the exact opposite with his operational staff. The trust has gone, the loyalty to the company is waning – more people are talking of moving on if the pension is changed.
I’m afraid Mr Barron does not seem to be in touch with his common worker.

Mr Barron is proud of Alstom and his achievements there (breaking it up, selling part, closing the pension). Mr Barron has been brought into NATS to do the same as he did with Alstom - and it looks like we are going to let him

Last edited by anotherthing; 12th Dec 2008 at 10:05. Reason: Sometimes the Mods are correct... making it less personal