PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian pilot over alcohol limit caught in AMS
Old 11th Dec 2008, 09:51
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another reality check...

When some of us still need one, I guess!

Most companies have it somewhere in the terms and conditions that drinking in uniform is a no-no, I think. Anyway, I never worked for an outfit that allowed that, not even a bush operation!

Don't sneer at "PR" because a lot of what we do IS "PR"! If you give the punters the impression you are a p1ss artist, that is the kiss of death right there, something a hundred PR types cannot undo. You might know, or just think you know, what your limit is, what you are doing next and when but the general public doesn't.

Too, bartenders are often pretty tired of their patrons in general I think and probably wouldn't much mind turning one in to the cops. He's never going to miss you, even assuming you are a big tipper but he has to live with the local cops continuously so why not "drop a dime" on you? It is not as if something really bad is going to happen to him for doing that, quite the opposite in fact.

Some of this is just a pathetic rear-guard action to try and get back to the happy days of yore, iron men in wooden airplanes, when no one could question what we skygods got up to working our aerial ju-ju.

It started downhill for me when this enormous Bahamian market lady looked across and asked me if I needed that "little piece of paper" (my checklist, actually) to fly my "little airplane" (a BE95 Travel Air, kinda dinky, yes) to the great amusement of her equally enormous lady friends sat behind us. I just told her, "Yes indeed, Madame! You better hope I don't lose it before we get to Freeport!" Hmph! No respect!

Nowadays every dweeb with Microsoft Flight Simulator thinks he knows better how to fly, the modern style of doing a landing is automatically down-graded as "bad" and prying eyes are everywhere as we just try to have a few relaxing bevvies or hits off a bong. It's a bit unfair that we have to just skip some of the fun at the hotel or airport bar when everyone else is having a good time but that is the way the game is played nowadays, when respect has been replaced by suspicion at every turn. Well, when each flight starts with being told, not asked, by some Tesco reject to partially disrobe and justify possession of various aviation impedimenta, what do we expect?

First the cigarettes, now the booze and dope... at least in America we can still tote our shootin' irons!