PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian pilot over alcohol limit caught in AMS
Old 11th Dec 2008, 00:28
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
captplaystation

The comment was directed towards anyone working in a hotel ( as howflytrg suggested )who thinks it is part of their normal job description to report aircrew behaviour to either their employers or any authority without full knowledge for instance of whether the crew getting tanked up till 4 in the morning just " might " be positioning back at 7 the next morning hence their "excessive" behaviour.
It may not be part of their job description, but it is definitely their duty as responsible human beings to report aircrew behaviour if there is any chance that the public might be put at risk. Any reasonable and professional pilot should have no problem being asked about their sobriety, considering the large number of lives in their hands.

It wouldn't even be an issue if so many pilots had not been caught, over the years, breaking the rules. The Channel 4 doco of a few years ago that exposed the BA crews is a case in point, as it exposed the rampant drinking culture that existed at the time - probably still does.

It occurs to me that any pilot who can't manage to summon the self-control to keep away from alcohol when within, say, 24 hours of duty (whether flying or not) has a bit of a problem. Why is it considered acceptable to turn up to work half cut under ANY circumstances?

It also occurs to me that any pilot who can't interact socially without drinking, or who can't get through a trip without hitting the bottle, has issues far more worrying than getting dobbed in by hotel bar staff.

I like my alcohol, but knowing when it is appropriate to drink it is the key. It seems many pilots still just don't get it.