PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Knowing your seat...
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2008, 13:52
trubru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good feedback!

Thanks everyone for your positive and constructive feedback.

To me as far as the job of working in a team goes, it is not about who's right but what's right.

There are many team sports in the world with Captains and they are there for a very good reason. I've been taught that a groups decision will 99% of the time be better than that of any individual in that groups own decision, but the first thing a group needs to do in order to function efficiently is to identify/appoint a leader.

There's another 'classic' i try to avoid and I believe that this is probably one of the biggest CRM disasters ever - The Captain doesn't want to listen and the F/O doesn't want to speak up!

I'm very easy going and encourage him to query, but unfortunately the final decision still lays with the skipper until they take the PIC bit out of the law and turn it into PF (Pilot Flying).

I do not reprimand, it hasn't been necessary at all, but I do give advice and constructive criticism. Unfortunately the net result is a childish response followed by a "starboard stare".

For example: We landed with 8 pax the other day at about 19000Lbs, (300Lbs below MLW, had to tanker fuel due costs at the destination), at about 1500ft AGL on final approach he asks me if I think we'll make the turn-off?

Runway details: 5758' long at 1738' elev and 36 deg C and the turn-off is at 2700ft from the landing threshold...

Just busy looking at the figures exactly now, although at the time I made a judgement call based on experience -

According to the QRH Landing speeds and distances under these circumstances:
Vref -122,
Vapp-132,
Actual Landing Distance - 3000ft,
Factored Landing Dist - 5000ft

My answer was: "Maybe if we were empty but not now and we have to consider the passenger comfort, so let her roll along gently and give us greaser (camaraderie)! (good landing)

What happens next: He goes for it anyway, regardless...

As soon as the main wheels touched down he started braking and deploying the thrust reversers at the same time, one small detail though, the nose wheel was still in the air. As soon as the reversers kicked in, he shat himself noticeably followed by a very cool "Oooops" - Luckily he got off the brakes and caught the nose wheel before it smacked into the ground. Was a bit pale myself....

Upon turnaround and backtrack I dared to mention that he must wait for the nose wheel to be on the ground before he starts to brake etc. This was followed by a how dare you tell me type of "What?!!"

This is just one example - Sorry I stuffed up and will never try that again would have meant end of discussion, no hard feelings, we walked away from that one and learnt something - let's have a beer!

That's what I expected...

Last edited by trubru; 10th Dec 2008 at 16:15. Reason: ......