PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun 2008-2009 season
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2008, 11:17
SkySurfin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For several years in Maun we had over 50 pilots through the doors looking for jobs each season (2002-2003). Infact one of those years we had around 70. Back then there was no big forum on PPRUNE, yet all these pilots still showed up looking for work. Unfortunatley of course there wasnt 50 or 70 jobs available so a lot of people went home without work. Some of these people stayed just a week then left without work, whilst others stayed 3 months and then came back looking the next year. In the end though the guys that wanted the jobs the most and could fit in with the Maun lifestyle all got jobs eventually. Even if this meant coming back next season or going to Namibia or Zambia for a year first to get a start. I guess what im getting at is that if you want to get a job in Maun then you will get it. BUT it may take 3 months in a tent at Audi camp, or even worse you may have to throw in the towel and come back next season. The best advise I can give is to be prepared that you may not get a job. Ive seen guys completley gut wrenched because they had come over with the opinion they would definitley get a job and it has turned out there are none left. I suspect that under the current financial world climate that business may be slow next year in Maun. In saying that though there is always attrition in Maun at some stage so a bit of luck with timing and a great attitude goes a long way. Maun was some of the best years of my life for sure, you arrive with a few hundred hours and leave with a few thousand, but more importantly you will leave with one of the best life experiences you can be given. It will be very tough at times, especially job hunting at Audi camp with 20 other guys. Keep your chin up, stay positive and try your best to enjoy yourself.

Good Luck to those who make the Journey to Maun its an amazing part of the world and some very amazing people live their.