PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The end of JAA PPL's in the U.S. A ???
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2002, 16:07
slim_slag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use GPS on a daily basis. However I will not use it without suitable back-up and cross check available from visual navigation or radio aids

FAA certified GPS receivers cross check themselves. It's called RAIM. If the GPS is deemed unreliable, which happens, it will not go into Approach Mode. This technology has been used for years and it really is a total non issue. If you get a very rare RAIM outage just hang around until you need to go to your alternate.

and I will never use it to make approaches.

As PIC that's your call of course. I'd take a GPS approach over an NDB any day, but that's my call too. I'd even take a GPS over a VOR approach. I would get into my destination while you would be off to an alternate.

As for the fact that the US military has control over GPS, that is also a non issue except we Europeans make it so. Do you really think that the US would turn off GPS? How much money would that cost US industry? It's simply not going to happen. Having said that I totally agree that the EU should put it's own system up there in space. I like competition you see.