PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWQUAY
Thread: NEWQUAY
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2008, 19:33
GROUNDHOG

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The masterplan....
Would love to hear what others think after reading - or maybe you wrote it- this hefty document. My view?
Of the 360 pages about 75% are the usual fluff and nonsense and really say nothing. The rest is all quite positive and full of good intent based on well founded ideas. A very professionally produced document. Indeed it would appear that the consultants used are a highly reputable company that have plenty of experience in airport management.

Great future for Newquay then.............or is it?

Four years ago I met with Colin Jarvis , Head of Transportation CCC and handed over a scruffy piece of paper with pretty much exactly the same ideas written on it and the cost to the ratepayer was a cup of coffee. It took me about ten minutes to produce the document ( and fourty years working in the business) and was politely received then probably discarded.

Worryingly several millions of pounds later what we now have is a masterplan produced by the same people that handled the change over from the RAF in the same hands CCC who implemented it - or rather didn't.

With the Keystone Cops running the show I can see no good reason why the aims of the document will ever be achieved but every reason why many more millions will be wasted in trying to do so.

CCC have asked for opinions on the plan but somehow I just cannot bring myself to do this. The masterplan actually typifies quite well what CCC represents - 75% fluff and nonsense ( at great expense) and 25% actual action. As much as I would love to make an input it just feels like a complete waste of time and my opinion will probably just dissappear into the system only to be ignored (again).

The best thing for the future of Newquay Airport would be to go round with a big for sale sign and get it into commercial hands - on current performance at least CCC couldn't be accused of selling the crown jewels now could they?