PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Condor pilots
Thread: Condor pilots
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2008, 15:35
Knee Trembler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re German language,

You'll find you need a good level of German language whichever company you want to work for, particularly within the Lufthansa group, but this definitely does NOT mean you need to be German.

Lufthansa Cityline have until recently been encouraging foreign pilots, with the incentive of being able to sit the infamous DLR GU (Lufthansa screening test) in English.

I'm a brit and just got a job with Augsburg Airways (part of Lufthansa Regional). To get there I did the afore mentioned GU in English, then the sim ride in German. A hundred question ATPL exam in English and the final interview in German.

I think it is fair to say that a high proportion of German pilots fail to get into the Lufthansa stream due, in fact, to lack of English.

On a general note, one sees a lot written about protectionist policies at the likes of KLM / Air France, BA etc. In practice, I think most of these companies are willing to entertain foreigners, just as long as they are willing to fit into their culture and, of course, meet the requirements.

KT