PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun 2008-2009 season
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2008, 12:24
waiterpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Further detailage

Meant to say actually: the only thing stopping people from going onto the Caravan is a 1000 hour rule for insurance. You will still have to start on the 206 but I would imagine that if there is space on the Caravan you could be fast tracked through. Don't quote me on this though!

Usual way of doing it for a 250hr guy is start on the 206 for a year, then fly both the 206 and the Caravan the next. Then you also have a sprinkling of Airvans and Islanders into the mix to keep it interesting.

RMarvin86: Most stay all year long. You get 4 weeks leave but I heard of a couple that took a couple extra weeks unpaid. I don't know exactly how many pilots there are but the number 60 was floated around. You fly 5 to 6 hours a day in the high season, six days a week (and I should imagine beer has never tasted so good afterwards).

ragdragger: Good to see you emerge from the shadows! I can't help with the police certificate thing (I guess you'll find out in the not too distant future), but I can say enjoy your succulent muffin on Air Botswana!

Just to let you all know; I am not sure if there will be jobs for everyone in Maun. Sorry to slip into the usual pprune mood of sombreness and pessimism from my usual cheerful self, but it's a fact. If you hang around long enough then you will most likely get a job (four months for one of the guys out there) - but there will be some going in January.

If you are willing to broaden your horizons a bit and head of to Namibia or another close by country (if and when you grow weary of hanging around for a job in everyones favourite donkey resort) you should be able to find something! Here is info on that.