PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Three airlines drop self-reporting safety program
Old 6th Dec 2008, 00:41
tbavprof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What we are seeing is the true commercialization of flying...with disregard to safety.

Self-regulation worked well in the financial services industry, didn't it?

The intent of SMS and the self-reporting is good. But there will always be the commercial and punitive factors to deal with in any voluntary reporting.

There has to be an independent 3rd party or some type of ombudsman to run this type of program. I'd suggest expanding the NASA program. Make the program managers responsible for delivering the info on each carrier to airline management on a monthly basis...in a non-punitive manner, in keeping with the spirit of these efforts. That removes the intercompany squabbles between pilots and management. But it does nothing to enhance safety, except provide information. No pro-active "self-correction" in place. A truly "enlightened" management may actually do something.

Ensuring that something gets done has to come from the FAA exercising its oversight duties. I'm sure they're quite happy with this type of chaos as they can place the blame for failures on inter-company squabbling, not lax oversight.