PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LIDO charts and manuals
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2008, 00:22
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another complaint about the LIDO enroute charts is (for EK ops, at least) the frequent need to use two or even three charts, as many EK routes run right along the edge of one chart and just onto another.

Finding where you are on the new chart can be a problem at times, as they don't align in what I would call a 'user friendly' way. I've taken to noting the lat. and long. of my exit point on the old chart and finding where I am on the new by looking for the lat. and long. on it.

I don't recall ever having to do that on a Jepp.

For terminal charts: the two page SID format took a bit of getting used to, but I find now that I've pretty well dispensed with the 4- chart (the diagram) unless I'm unfamiliar with the SID and go straight to the 5- chart (the written instructions).

One of my pet peeves with LIDO is the all too frequent use of what can only be called codes - that my already cluttered brain is expected to remember - (e.g., the altitude and speed restrictions on arrival into DXB). "a "*" at a waypoint means 'x' and "#" means 'Y" " In Jepp, even if it meant the chart was sometimes cluttered, if there was a restriction, it was spelled out in clear English.