PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Atlas Polar
Thread: Atlas Polar
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2008, 03:03
Deltabravowhiskey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hvydrvr
Hmm... pretty slick. Since I work with Capt. Walsh personally, I can say without reservation that whoever was writing these comments into his letter is full of horse dung. End of story.
Originally Posted by nitty-gritty
Having been present for a fair chunk of what was commented on by the author makes me question how much you work with Capt Walsh and in what capacity.

Originally Posted by Pat Walsh
ALPA will continue to represent us just as they did the Emory pilots, long after our company ceases operations. Unfortunately, no matter what happens with the DHL/UPS agreement, it is clear that the jobs of all ASTAR and ABX pilots are in jeopardy. However, the fact that we have protections against furlough in our agreement gives us some tools to work with in dealing with this threat. As bad as our current situation is, we are certainly much better off with the new contract that ALPA negotiated.

Originally Posted by Former EVP ALPA & MEC Chairman
November 21, 2008
RE: Response To
Captain Pat Walsh’s
Letter and comment (specifically Emery)

Gentlemen,

I found Captain Walsh’s statement somewhat misleading and although I would like to give Pat the benefit of the doubt, my experience with ALPA’s disingenuous approach to representation, is that Pat’s comments belie what he may really be doing in hopes of further employment, i.e. Jeff Haddock (Emery-now FEDEX), David Webb (FEDEX) (discussed in further detail below). The Stark Reality is: None of the leadership from Emery was ever approached on this topic by ALPA or any of their representatives including Captain Pat Walsh for a reason. Not the Former MEC Chairman & ALPA EVP Tom Rachford. Not the closing Chairman, Mark Luthi nor Vice Chairman Wendy Albright who was elected by 100% of the vote (even the individual running against her voted in her favor).

I will encapsulate the high points as the breadth of this text could easily outstrip what is meant to be a simple missive rather than an extended tome.

Emery Worldwide Airlines Flight Crewmembers voted ALPA as its bargaining agent in July of 1997. Emery had horrific maintenance issues—literally life and death. ALPA garnered this privilege on its supposed merits including, ALPA’s mantra of “One Level of Safety”, their reported history towards the abuse by managements toward flight personnel and poor maintained equipment—and specifically a promise by then President Randy Babbit to myself and our pilot group to make Emery the “Poster Child” in highlighting what occurred on the back side of the clock with Freight Pilots.

Over 150 reports were compiled and handed to ALPA National detailing various maintenance issues, flight time abuses by managements etc. All of these documents detailed incidents prior to ALPA’s representation. ALL went mysteriously missing from the ALPA Safety Department. Prior to Emery’s Crash on February 16, 2000 in Sacramento California the leadership received little to no assistance with a myriad of safety issues. In a nine month period prior to the crash crews experience hydraulic failures, engines overtemps—some requiring shutdowns, depressurizations, wheels falling off on landings, brakes seizing to the degree all mains were blown, fuel tanks that leaked profusely and on one occasion a Main Cargo door coming open on rotation.

Despite the above ALPA chose to sit on the sideline until the accident and then became only involved in deflecting their blame and that of the FAA. The Emery leadership fought for a public hearing but was dismissed by National and more specifically Duane Woerth even though they vigorously supported the NTSB hearing on the Alaskan DC-9 crash that had preceded Emery’s accident by just two weeks. I personally lobbied on Capital Hill on behalf of the families and with the assistance of various legislators, then NTSB Board Member John Goglia and with one specific family member finally secured a public hearing. I was then told by the Chairman of the Safety Dept, Duane Woerth, and Howard Attarian that it was none of my business and that dealing with Senators and Congressmen was Duane’s domain and no one else’s. On the day of the hearing I was replaced as the representative for the Emery Pilots by FedEx’s Pilot group Chair, David Webb. Not only did David know nothing about our crash or the DC-8—FEDEX was not even yet part of the Airline Pilots Association!

As incredulous as this may seem the following submits more for an understanding of the ability to manipulate the leadership by extorting members of that Leadership and by the manipulation of the Constitution and By-laws.

Jeff Haddock was one of the negotiating members representing the Emery Pilots and yet with the assistance of Duane Woerth using then Executive Administrator Howard Attarian usurped the process and was able to become the Negotiating Chairman. Jeff and ALPA then negotiated a contract that was forced upon the MEC Chairman (Tom Rachford) and then the Emery Worldwide Crewmembers.

ALPA insisted it was the “Best First Contract in the Industry”. This and with Duane’s manipulation of the negotiations and the NMB left little maneuvering for myself as chairman. Less than a year later 505 crewmembers were out of work. ALPA then refused to ask for any injunctions preventing others from doing our flying. Instead they wanted to settle a 400 million dollar contract for 17million. It took years of litigation to stop ALPA from settling. Unfortunately they still were able to settle for half the group for about 10 million. What was wrong with the contract? Why did ALPA fight litigation and an arbitration process? Because it was ALPA that changed the language in “Boiler Plate Language” in the SIDE LETTER OF AGREEMENT, whereas it described that an airline must do everything in it’s power to meet the standards and safety requirements of the FAA ( to) being shut down by a government agency” as being sufficient to meet the force majeure standards (impossibility). This despite all that was occurring on the property and all the problems Emery was having on a daily if not hourly basis with the FAA This boiler plate language was in the then US Air Contract and the DHL Contract.

What did ALPA gain? They got rid of Emery and the problems associated with it. They protected their political currency with the FAA who had sat on the sidelines for years concerning Emery and were one of the focal points of the hearing. And they got FEDEX to join ALPA partly because of a multi-billion dollar contract Emery lost to FEDEX.

Juxtaposed, it is hard to see Connie Kalitta airlines recently with two crashes in the space of six weeks. They’re not shut down. But with ALPA and the help of the FAA, a six billion dollar corporation (CNF), is shut down “OUT OF THE BLUE”, allowing the Airline a get out of jail card with the Emery Pilots so called “Best First Contract in the Industry ”and ALPA the ability to hide from its 3-4 misrepresentation of the Emery Pilots. Pretty Slick.

I wished I had done more homework and been less trusting. I wish I had talked with the Eastern Pilots (largest airline in the free world at that time), or with the Continental pilots, Braniff etc. ASK the now out of business ATA pilots if leaving the Teamsters for ALPA was such a good idea. Or better ASK a TWA pilot if ALPA really wanted to represent them or was Duane (ALPA) working to secure American.

My father was a United Captain. This “ALPA” is not the same “ALPA” my father praised. In fact Pa made the comment Duane always looked more like he was running for political office. I think the recent event concerning Duane and the FAA put Pa—Right on Point.

All of you must choose what is best for you and your families. In addition to the leaderships roles I held above I was the President of the Local representing TIA (Trans International Airlines) in the late 80’s under the Teamsters. There is no question what my decision would be today.

In conclusion if you remember only one thing about all of this:

ALPA removed “ALL” of the leadership and put into place using their “Constitution and By Laws” a Custodian to circumvent the Emery Pilots, their leadership and pervert the justice system. The Custodians name. Jeff Haddock. The only pilot since hired by FEDEX from Emery.

Wishing you all the best in making your decision;
Just the messenger.

DBW