PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Condor pilots
Thread: Condor pilots
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2008, 15:28
Reimers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are schedules at Condor more tiring and difficult than typical intra-Europe LH flight schedules?
Often only two legs, averaging approx. 4 hours during winter schedule and 2:45 h in summer, the destination has mostly good weather (that's why people fly there), mostly it's not overcrowded, pax are happy to go where they are going on the first leg (often also on the return leg)

Does Condor provide a good QOL for pilots or do you get a lot more night flights and very early-morning shows that are tiring?
Except for the occasional substantial delay there are few night flights. Early morning is limited by the extensive night curfew most German airports operate under. This will vary from base to base, but even Leipzig now has a curfew for everyone except DHL

Do Condor pilots get many night stops (within Europe) or are the flights typically out-and-back (i.e., to Lanzarote and back)
We used to have the greatest Barcelona layover. Trips were MUC-PMI-MUC-BCN (arrive at 14:00) and then 24 h in BCN. Great for some sightseeing, some tappas and then the next day one could sleep in as the only Condor aircraft to serve BCN isn't coming in until 14:00. That is gone, as are most of the layovers on the canary islands. This winter there are no triangular flights Germany-1st island-2nd island-back to Germany requiring a crew change.
But for those who are at a base that lacks pilots, this means operating 6-8 days in winter and the rest is OFF. Others based where there is an excess of crews available will be commuting on behalf of the company to somewhere they are needed, but still there are many days OFF between the nightstops in Germany.

What about aircraft type at Condor - is there any experience difference required to fly either the A320 or the 757-300 or is it first seat available as long as you meet minimums?
Honestly I have no idea.

Are pilots from Condor who ultimately move over to LH happy with the type of flying (not talking long-haul) LH does? I would imagine FRA-LHR-FRA-CDG-FRA-MAD-FRA-MXP in the Airbus would be quite different from flights to the Greek or Canary Islands for some people. At the same time, anyone lucky enough to get a slot with LH would probably be happy regardless.
Being able to see several different kinds of operation is quite nice. I've seen LH A320 short-haul, which was nice, then the A340 family for long-haul, now I'm in the left seat at Condor and I liked every single flight so far. Occasionally the paper pushers (such as there have to be in a huge company as LH) will try to get on your nerves but come the next day climbing through the last cloud layer into the sunny skies toward somewhere nice - they ultimately do not stand a chance of ruining it.

Last edited by Reimers; 5th Dec 2008 at 14:14. Reason: Quote function didn't work out yesterday