PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Collective Colour Vision Thread 3
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2008, 10:04
Rasco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys!

You've heard the story... I want to fly commcercially but I have a slight color deficiency. I'm a 21 year old Swedish citizen at the moment living and working in norway. I've known since my first school medical ~10 years ago that I was "color blind".

I want a JAA and FAA class 1, of course.

My story follows...

*Oslo, Norway
Holmes Wright - I was offered a test off the record(I think).
FAIL - Failed on 3 lanterns, all being light green that I thought was white. The test was done at approx. 6 meters in a lightened room.

*Stockholm, Sweden
Went home to Sweden to do the full JAA class 1 medical, but doing the eye exam first if I'd fail.

Ishihara - FAIL- Just saw maybe 50% of the numbers.
Anomaloscope - PASS - The examiner said it was rather strange but I did match the colors within the range of passing the test.
Holmes Wright - FAIL - As I knew what went wrong in Oslo i tried to "compensate" and twist the colors I saw. This time around it went even worse. I mixed up a few of the lanterns and got even more answers wrong than last time. The test was done at maybe 5 meter in a darkened room.

Anyways, I was declared as color unsafe. The examiner was really friendly and co-operative. He said that he thought I had an unusual color deficiency but told me to think about another career. So here I am, 2 hours after the failure knowing that "my color unsafe paper" is on its way to the swedish aviation authorities. I've read a couple of really inspiring stories in this thread, Blinkz for example, and I do hope I could do the same thing.

I will in a short future do the FAA tests as I believe I have a shot at getting the FAA Class 1 and starting my career in the states. My plan was from the first start to get all my certificates in the US and then convert them to JAA when I got home. But to do so I would of course need my JAA Class 1.

As all boys with dreams I will continue my journey. But what's the next step? Trying another JAA country? After reading through this thread I have a clue about the different ways on how to get through this net. I just want to share my journey with you guys.

Thanks for this awesome source of info and inspiration!

Cheers!

/Oscar