PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The end of JAA PPL's in the U.S. A ???
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2002, 10:12
slim_slag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations on flying before I was born. I will be flying after you are dead. Same thing really.

It is not the same thing at all. What Chuck is trying to tell you, and which you don't get, is that is that he knows a **** load more about flying than you do. Also there is no guarantee that you will be flying when he is dead. There is also no guarantee that you will ever be as competent a pilot as Chuck, even when he IS dead

Not really. If you can't work out a simple bearing/distance/time problem then best you don't fly a jet airliiner..

I really liked Chuck's opinion (or whoever he is now, lol) that a FO should be similarly skilled to his captain. Back to the whole premise of this thread (JAA and FAA training), I find it illustrative that it is possible in JAA land to be a FO in a passenger jet with only 250 hours. That would never happen in FAA land. In fact, in a previous thread you stated that it was a reason why FAA was inferior to JAA.

Now I'm sure that a 250 hour JAA CPL can fly figure of eights around an NDB for hours with far more precision than a 250 hour FAA CPL (I've see the JAA boys training in PHX do it in the sim I am so very impressed). I'm less impressed when I get on a 737 in JAA land and consider the possibility that if the captain makes a bad/borderline decision our 250 hour FO doesn't have the experience to know this is a bad decision, and so use his (probably excellent on paper) CRM skills to do something about it.

But during that thread you were obviously saying that the system should be set up for the professional pilots, it was good because you could be a professional pilot with 250 hours. It's only going to be a matter of time before a plane goes down and the accident report says 'probable cause, inexperience of FO'. You obviously don't care much about the consumer being able to choose how he spends his time and money, but I'd have though you would care more about your passengers! Your FO in an FAA jet may be less precise in his ADF skills, but who cares, he will be competant. The system here is set up to provide him with the vast experience he needs before becoming FO in a jet with 150 people behind him. You have to face the facts, it's better in FAA land, and you should not be stopping people from coming here to train at facilities over here and experience all this. If JAA/Europe was set up like FAA/USA then maybe our low time pilot would be able to be gain some good experience prior to his first real job, but it isn't, so he cannot.

Cheers

Last edited by slim_slag; 5th Apr 2002 at 11:06.